Tuesday, April 16, 2013

10 tips to help reduce global warming

since it is earth week, i thought i would pass on 10 itty bitty tips we can all do that will help stop global warming. we should all work together to make a difference in our world, we all have an impact on earth...lets make it a positive one...
replace a regular incandescent light bulb with a compact fluorescent light bulb: (cfl) you can find them out at 1000bulbs.com. three CFBs will save 300 pounds of carbon dioxide!
bring cloth/canvas bags to the market: when the check-out person asks, "paper or plastic?," say, "neither." using your own cloth bag reduces waste and requires no additional energy.
reduce waste: take your lunch in a reusable lunch box instead of a disposable one.
plant a tree: trees suck up CO2 and create clean air for us to breathe. a single tree will absorb a ton (that's 2000+ lbs.) of CO2 over its lifetime.
conserve water: do only full loads of laundry and don't let the water run when you brush your teeth or shave. an open faucet pours 5 gallons of water every 2 minutes.
use refillable bottles for water: bottled water is a huge culprit to having a clean environment. stop buying all of those water bottles that fill up our land-fills. if you need special water, buy a water filter.
buy organic foods as much as possible: the chemicals used in modern agriculture aren't just bad for your body, they also pollute the water supply and are mostly made of petroleum.
walk or ride your bike to work, school and anywhere you can: you'll save one pound of CO2 for every mile you don't drive!
be sure you're recycling at home: you can save 2,400 pounds of carbon dioxide a year by recycling half of the waste your household generates.
spread the word: tell everyone all the things above. tell your friends, family, relatives, coworkers, and more. post it on forums, message boards, and blogs. if even ten out of a hundred listen to you, and one of that ten actually does something, it makes a difference!
here's some awesome websites to check out for more ideas how you can help save our earth...

1 comment:

  1. Alright, alright, I give up!!! I will start recycling better; I will try to really keep the garbage out of the recyclables and vice versa. No more kitty litter in the wrong bins. No more pizza boxes in the recyclable bin. I am working on the plastic thing at the grocers. Funny when plastic bags first came out I did not like them but you get used to them and when Emma Lou and I take a walk I always take one with me with so sand in the bottom so it looks like I picked up after Emma Lou goes number two. I think that picture of Ella doing the laundry (Livi) is a good tip. I like it so much I am going to continue overloading my washer but now I will feel good about it. I am trying to cut down on my bottled water (club soda actually) and have gone to cans. I enjoy crushing them on my forehead while I watch Honey Boo Boo Boo. The picture of you holding up frozen TV dinners just justified my adult existence, because that is what I used to live on. I quit thinking it would be better to buy fresh items and cook at home. Man I cannot wait to get back to that frozen food aisle and see what new dishes Stouffers has come out with while I was foolishly in denial. I like your example of how much you save if you walk or ride a bike. Well just think how much CO2 you can save by just sitting on your butt all day. You end up creating very little CO2 at all. Maybe a little methane but very little CO2. And with methane you can track its source where with CO2 it is invisible and odorless, no character at all. I sometimes order pizza delivered and feel OK about them creating CO2 and me creating methane.
    Love you,
    Dino Pop

    ReplyDelete