Wednesday, October 2, 2013

livi's field trip to the ag'tivity barn

today livi's class went to the fort bend county fair grounds to the ag'tivity barn. they got to learn all about texas tracks by seeing skulls, pelts & hand/feet prints of skunks, raccoons, opossum, deer, bobcats & squirrels.
they got to see the butterfly life cycle in person. from the egg- caterpillar- the chrysalis- to the beautiful butterfly. they also learned all sorts of neat facts about them, like did you know that butterflies can not fly if their body temperature is less than 86 degrees?!
there was also goats, a big mama cow with her calf, baby ducks, lambs, chickens for all the children to say "hi" to.
they talked about all the parts of an egg & got to see baby chicks hatching! did you know that it takes 21 days for a baby chick to hatch & 28 days for a baby turkey to hatch?!
 they saw how cotton is harvested, processed, packaged & distributed. did you know that one bale of cotton can make 215 jeans or 249 bed sheets or 690 terry bath towels or 1,256 pillowcases or 313,600 $100 bills?! they learned all sorts of things about corn like how it's grown on every continent except antartica & some corn can grow over 20 feet high. can you believe corn is used in 276 ways just to make cookies & an ear of corn averages 800 kernels in 16 rows?! they also saw the importance of soils & got to touch all different kinds & their different textures. 
something else they learned about was fort bend county's wildlife, there are so many different types trees, some i'd never even heard of. there are more than 270 species of birds, 23 species of mammals, 21 species of reptiles & amphibians including the american alligator. they had a mama & 2 baby ones there. if you wanted to touch one you could, mommy did but livi wasn't having any part of it. she thought they were really neat, but very scary!
then it was time to head to the petting zoo to see what they could find & you'll never guess what was there... a baby kangaroo names lulu! lulu was livi's favorite part of the whole field trip, she was the softest thing livi has ever felt!
inside the petting zoo there were llamas, big goats, baby goats, cows, sheep & deer that liked to eat mommy's shirt!
after the petting zoo it was time for snack, a class picture & then back to school, but all the kids had a great time & will always remember the time mommy lost her shirt to a deer!

1 comment:

  1. Girl, you get to go on the neatest trips. I am jealous, I would love to go on that field trip and I am 65 years old. It is great that there are places you can still go and see these things. Watching baby chicks hatch is not something many people ever see these days. Then to see llamas, big goats, baby goats, cows, sheep & a deer that liked to eat your mommy's shirt! I would have fallen in love with the kangaroo myself, the only thing I know that is softer than that kangaroo’s fur is my belt line. I also would have been careful with that baby alligator. You know what they say about alligators don’t you? The only good alligator is a Italian handbag (purse) or a nice pair of boots!!! I loved the serious look on Livi’s face in most of the photos, it shows she is listening. I had better end this one as my girl kitty wants to grab my fingers as I type and I cannot get to the mouse as her plumb belly is on it. You know, I think her belly is softer than mine.
    Love you,
    Dino Pop

    ReplyDelete